Dearing Ga is located 7 miles east of Thomson, in McDuffie county. It was named after William Dearing, he was the president of the Georgia Railroad Banking Company. However the railroad came through the area in 1837 an Dearing appeared on the railroad map as early as 1841, long before McDuffie was former from Columbia and Warren counties. Pre-civil war the history of Dearing was akin to Wild West stories of A.J. Taylor, and his account of Dearing from 1850- 1904. Then came the Methodist Church in 1899 marked a new epoch of life in Dearing. After the death of one of the towns early settlers and land owners Captain Willis Howard, his daughter Mrs. Matilda Jane Clark inherited the bulk of his land in the town. she the subdivided the property and sold parcels for home sites. This was the turn of the century, with a building boom happening in the small village. Dearing was he incorporated in1910, with Robert Pitts Morgan as its first mayor. That same year the towns first school was built on a lot donated by Capt. Willis Howard.