Blythe is located approximately 20 miles southwest of Augusta, Georgia. In 1840 there was no post office but there was a club composed of area farmers, they all took a week to travel to Berzelia for the community’s mail. Then in 1845 a post office was opened and named “Bonnis Doon” in the home of James Palmer. The community of Blythe was built around the Tarver house, the railroad depot/post office, the school (built in 1881), and a store opened in 1883 by R. J, Atkinson. The first store, after the railroad was completed in 1885, was opened by V.J. Murrow and James H. Tudor They were co-owners of the Mercantile Establishment, this building is now owned by Vester Hayes. Blythe has a population of 704, with a total land area of 208 sq miles, with all being land.